The key to these moist and semi-sweet cupcakes is whipping the egg whites separately. I have been doing this with many of my recipes lately and the results are fantastic!
Yield: About 20 cupcakes
3 eggs, separated
3 1/2 cups (350 grams) finely ground, blanched almond flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup (250grams) plain yogurt (use homemade if you need lactose-free)
1/2 cup agave nectar OR 3/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (no sugar added)
zest from 1 Meyer lemon (about 1 Tablespoon)
1 cup fresh cranberries
Preheat oven to 300˚F (150˚C)
Grease 2 muffin tins with butter or coconut oil. Do not use cupcake papers as the almond flour tends to stick to the paper.
1. Whip eggs whites until stiff, set aside.
2. Combine the almond flour, salt, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
3. Using an electric mixer, blend the egg yolks, yogurt, agave, vanilla and lemon zest until light and creamy.
4. Add egg yolk mixture to almond flour mixture and mix until well combined.
5. Fold in eggs whites and cranberries.
6. Scoop batter into muffin tins, filling each about 2/3 full. If you run out of batter, add water to the empty muffin cups to prevent burning.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until a metal knife inserted into the center of cupcake comes out clean.
Cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to ten days. Enjoy!