Inspired by the Apple Pancake recipe in “Grain-Free Gourmet” by Jodi Badger and Jenny Lass, I added more eggs and zucchini to stretch this recipe to serve 4-6 instead of just one. This recipe contains no flour, and is delicious with sliced strawberries, a sprinkle of cinnamon and drizzled honey for a topping. This recipe is dairy-free if you use almond milk and grapeseed oil options.
Yield: 10-12 pancakes
1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
1 zucchini (about 8 inches in length), peeled and grated
8 brown, organic eggs
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or homemade, lactose-free yogurt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (no sugar added)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
butter or grapeseed oil for cooking
honey, cinnamon, and sliced organic strawberries for topping if desired
1. Place grated apple and zucchini in a cheesecloth or cloth jelly bag and squeeze out excess water. You should have about one cup total after draining.
2. Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, add drained apple and zucchini, eggs, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk thoroughly until mixture begins to froth.
3. Heat a small frying pan on medium heat. Using 1/4 cup, pour one pancake at a time onto heated pan. If you have egg rings, you can make perfect circular pancakes. If not, simply use the spatula to scoop egg batter into a circle as it begins to cook.
4. When edges begin to cook, flip pancake to seal in second side. Gently press spatula onto pancake to release excess liquid. Flip pancake once or twice more, continuing to press out liquid until both sides turn a deep golden brown.
5. Slide pancake onto warmed plate, and continue to cook the remaining pancakes. Serve with suggested toppings or discover your own depending on your dietary needs.