Macaroons make a great snack and are easy to bag up as a take-along treat. Adapted and used with permission from Lucy’s SCD Cookbook, p. 86, all of my kids love these in either cup-cake size or bite-sized portions.
Yield: 12 cup-cake-sized macaroons
6 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon or sea salt
1/2 cup honey
2 teasponns pure vanilla extract (sugar-free)
2 1/2 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 300˚F. Do not use muffin cups for this recipe, as the macaroons will stick to the paper. Grease muffin tins generously with coconut oil.
2. Beat the egg whites and salt with electric mixer on medium speed until stiff.
3. Gently fold in the honey, vanilla, and coconut using a large rubber or silicone spatula.
4. Using an ice-cream scoop, fill each paper cup about 3/4 of the way full.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tops of macaroons are golden brown.