You will need to plan ahead for this recipe by soaking and cooking the beans the night before. If you choose to use canned butter beans, be sure to read the label, drain well and add distilled water to reduce sodium. Then combine ingredients as directed and refrigerate until about 30 minutes before the meal to allow time to reheat. You may also cook and divide in single-sized servings in freezer bags ahead of time. Boil bags to reheat and serve with fresh baked, buttered almond bread and a garden salad.
Yield: 12, 1 cup servings
4 garlic cloves, chopped (optional)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped (Sucraid required-omit if no Sucraid)
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 pound Lima beans, soaked and boiled (or 2 cans butter beans, drained)
2 cups cooked chicken meat (from leftover baked chicken, or cubed grilled chicken breasts)
1 whole tomato, diced
2 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cups (16 ounces) Campbell’s Tomato Juice
Real Salt, or sea salt and Pepper to taste
1. Using a 4-quart pot, sauté garlic, onions and celery in olive oil in large pot with olive oil on medium-high heat for about 2-minutes.
2. Stir in oregano, thyme, and rosemary and cook for about a minute to release oils.
3. Add beans, chicken, tomato, carrots and enough water to cover ingredients by about a half an inch.
4. Add tomato juice and stir well.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, adding sea salt and pepper to taste. 5. If you plan to batch and store the soup, pour into containers and cool completely before covering and freezing. To reheat, place storage container in a shallow pan of water and heat on low.