I have adjusted this recipe as the original version included the use of bacon and not kale. I want to make sure most of my recipes do not require the use of Sucraid as well as include the most nutritious sugarless, starchless ingredients possible. I personally prefer this cold. You may choose to add additional salt and pepper to suit your tastes. Please chop tomatoes and kale up small if serving to young children to avoid choking as kale can be a bit tough.
Yield: 6-8 Servings
1 cup (120 grams) blanched almond flour
4 tablespoons (60 ml) butter, melted OR Grapeseed Oil
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) sea salt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) coconut oil
1/2 cup (40 grams) mushrooms, sliced or chopped
4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons (30 ml) coconut milk
4 ounces (120 grams) Kale, chopped
1 medium tomato, sliced
1 ounce (25 grams) sliced cheese
1. Pre-Heat oven to 325◦F (.
2. Combine together almond flour and butter and press evenly into bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie dish.
3. Bake the crust for about 10 minutes or until light brown. Place on cooling rack, leaving oven on.
4. Meanwhile, sauté mushrooms with coconut oil in a medium skillet for about one minute. Add chopped kale, cover and remove from heat. Allow kale to steam for about five minutes.
6. Whip together the eggs and coconut milk in a medium bowl. Evenly spoon mushrooms and kale onto baked crust. Then pour egg mixture over the vegetables.
7. Gently lay the tomato slices on top of the eggs. Top with sliced cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until the eggs are firm and the cheese begins to brown.
8. Serve warm or cold. This also makes a great lunch or snack.