Having a pizza alternative works well for birthdays or Friday night-in. Making the sauce (step 5) and steaming and cooling the cauliflower in advance will cut preparation time in half. The crust isn’t quite as firm as flour-based crust, so be ready to use a fork and dig in!
Yield: 8 servings
2 tablespoons/30 ml olive oil
4 cups/1 liter boiled cauliflower crowns, steamed and cooled*
1 cup/280 grams grated mozzarella cheese (do not buy pre-grated as potato starch is added)
16 ounces/500 ml tomato juice
Real Salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
4 ounces ham**, cut into bite-sized pieces (check label for no sugar or starch fillers added; dextrose is okay)
4 ounces pineapple slices,m cut into bite-sized pieces (in 100% pineapple juice if using canned)
**Hormel® black label ham does not add starches and only adds dextrose.
1. Preheat oven to 450˚F/230˚C
2. Coat pie dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil. I used an IKEA pie platewith removable bottom.
3. Combine cauliflower, cheese and egg in food processor and blend until smooth. A few small bits of cauliflower will remain.
4. Spread cauliflower mixture evenly in pie dish. Bake crust for 12-15 minutes or until settled and light brown. If using a pie plate with removable bottom, you may want to place on a cookie sheet to catch drips.
5. Meanwhile, combine the tomato juice with the salt and pepper in a small saucepan and cook on medium high until it thickens to the consistency of tomato sauce.
7. Remove the crust from the oven and drizzle remaining olive oil on top.
8. Spread the tomato sauce mix on the crust. Add remaining cheese, ham and pineapple.
9. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and begins to bubble.
10. Cool for at least 5 minutes. Slice carefully and serve on a plate with a fork.
* To reduce possible gas upset, chop cauliflower and allow it to sit for 15 minutes before steaming. This releases enzymes in the cauliflower that get trapped in heat.
Replace ham and pineapple with turkey pepperoni that does not contain added sugar or starch.
Replace ham and pineapple with thinly sliced mushrooms and zucchini for a vegetarian version.
Replace mozzarella cheese with jack cheese to reduce lactose.